Author Topic: Testing the import of images by reference  (Read 2294 times)

Offline iamjanco

• Administrator
    • High Peaks Publishing
Testing the import of images by reference
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:38:08 AM »
Going to try to add an image that's that's hosted elsewhere, in the body of this post:

Looks like it works! This one is stored on Photobucket, and I added it to this post by clicking on the "Insert Image" button in the editor's bottom row of buttons, all the way to the left. A popup window then opened and I inserted the url (web address only, not the the full code with "a href" in it) to the image at Photobucket.

Btw, you can also use what's called the bbcode "img" tag to insert images here that are stored elsewhere, like so:

Code: [Select]
[IMG]http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w542/najnehoc/JAN-THINKS/Pictures/5-thumb_zpsa01c505c.jpg[/IMG]
You can read more about using bbcode simply by searching Google for the word "bbcode". There are tons of infomrative sites out there which discus it its use in detail.

That said, this works well and will help do a number of important things for us, including (among others):
  • Keeps bandwidth use down since the image is coming from somewhere else other than our server;
  • Keeps our server's disk storage use down;
  • Prevents the uploading of bad files (including malware and malformed content) to our server;
  • Reduces the load on the server (cpu).
The only real caveat adding images or other attachments this way is the possibility that someday, the link that was originally added to the displayed file will change. That can and does happen when, for instance, changes are made to another site's structure because of updates to that site's functionality. It also happens when a site goes down, or is decommissioned by its owner or the owner's web host. So, if at all possible, it's best to use a a well-known, reputable place (like Photobucket) to store our images, videos and other attachments online.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:33:33 AM by iamjanco »